Some observations
Paul Quinn
2014-04-15 15:25:00 UTC
Hi! Alexander,

On Tue, 15 Apr 14, you wrote to me:

ak> So, in Russia, a gentleman's set for drinking tea consists of a glass,
ak> a teaspoon and a saucer.

I have seen this 'ritual', in at least one film. The use of a glass cup,
replete with handle, is a point of interest. Alexander, why is glass used in
lieu of similar 'china' to match the saucer?

ak> + Origin: Quinn's Post - Maryborough, Queensland, OZ (3:640/384)

:)

Cheers,
Paul.

... We see what we look for and we look for what we think we will see. jms
alexander koryagin
2014-04-16 05:51:21 UTC
Hi, Paul Quinn!
I read your message from 15.04.2014 19:25

ak>> So, in Russia, a gentleman's set for drinking tea consists of a
ak>> glass, a teaspoon and a saucer.

PQ> I have seen this 'ritual', in at least one film. The use of a glass
PQ> cup, replete with handle, is a point of interest. Alexander, why is
PQ> glass used in lieu of similar 'china' to match the saucer?

Do Russians like flowers on china saucers? ;-)

In Russia we also produce china caps. Such a cap always has a handle. So
it is more difficult to produce it. In hard time, especially after WW2
when all utensils were broken :) glasses and saucers (and tea spoons)
became the main mean for tea drinking.

It must be said that there also was another tea set. It consisted of a
glass (with a teaspoon) and a special metal glass holder (podstakannik
in Russian). It has been widely used in trains, canteens etc. A waiter
takes a tea tray, puts glasses on it, in glass holders, and carries it
along the train, canteen etc. As you can see if they would use glasses
with saucers they could carry much less glasses per one tray.

Bye, Paul!
Alexander Koryagin
fido7.english-tutor 2014
Paul Quinn
2014-04-16 04:51:51 UTC
Hi! Alexander,

On 16/04/14 17:51, you wrote:

PQ>> I have seen this 'ritual', in at least one film. The use of a

ak> Do Russians like flowers on china saucers? ;-)

I cannot be certain. I do (like flowers on them).

ak> In Russia we also produce china caps. Such a cap always has a handle. So
ak> it is more difficult to produce it. In hard time, especially after WW2
ak> when all utensils were broken :) glasses and saucers (and tea spoons)
ak> became the main mean for tea drinking.

Caps? China cups. Yes. I used to have my own (favourite) tea cup and saucer
in my teenaged years.

ak> It must be said that there also was another tea set. It consisted of a
ak> glass (with a teaspoon) and a special metal glass holder (podstakannik
ak> in Russian). It has been widely used in trains, canteens etc. A waiter
ak> takes a tea tray, puts glasses on it, in glass holders, and carries it
ak> along the train, canteen etc. As you can see if they would use glasses
ak> with saucers they could carry much less glasses per one tray.

I have seen this metal glass holder at least once in a film. I've spotted its
use at the 33 minute mark in the 'The Hunt for Red October' movie from 1990. I
have seen such things used in other films as well. E.g. I suspect a senior
Police official may have been using one in the 'Gorky Park' film from 1983 but
I don't have a copy to check.

Yes, I can imagine that a cup holder would essentially turn a glass into a
shape similar to a coffee cup. Such things would be more useful, and less
awkward, than cups & saucers.

Thanks again, Alexander.

Cheers,
Paul.
alexander koryagin
2014-04-17 06:01:19 UTC
Hi, Paul Quinn!
I read your message from 16.04.2014 08:51

ak>> In Russia we also produce china caps. Such a cap always has a
ak>> handle. So it is more difficult to produce it. In hard time,
ak>> especially after WW2 when all utensils were broken :) glasses and
ak>> saucers (and tea spoons) became the main mean for tea drinking.
PQ> Caps? China cups. Yes. I used to have my own (favourite) tea cup
PQ> and saucer in my teenaged years.

Shame on me! Cups! ;) It is probably my bad pronunciation. ;=) But it
supports my main English rule - you should never say short phrases. You
should speak adding many context words. In this case you'll be
understood! :)

ak>> It must be said that there also was another tea set. It consisted
ak>> of a glass (with a teaspoon) and a special metal glass holder
ak>> (podstakannik in Russian). It has been widely used in trains,
ak>> canteens etc. A waiter takes a tea tray, puts glasses on it, in
ak>> glass holders, and carries it along the train, canteen etc. As you
ak>> can see if they would use glasses with saucers they could carry
ak>> much less glasses per one tray.

PQ> I have seen this metal glass holder at least once in a film. I've
PQ> spotted its use at the 33 minute mark in the 'The Hunt for Red
PQ> October' movie from 1990. I have seen such things used in other
PQ> films as well. E. g. I suspect a senior Police official may have
PQ> been using one in the 'Gorky Park' film from 1983 but I don't have
PQ> a copy to check.

PQ> Yes, I can imagine that a cup holder would essentially turn a glass
PQ> into a shape similar to a coffee cup. Such things would be more
PQ> useful, and less awkward, than cups & saucers.

Russians also like glass holders because they can be made of gold and
silver. ;-)

BTW, here is a joke about a Russian way to drink tea. One Japanese
waiter said that he always knows how to tell if a man is Russian when he
drinks tea. He said that all Russians don't take tea spoons out of the
glass when drinking, and they press them with a big finger, in the
process of drinking. A Russian man decided to deceive the waiter and
started to drink tea without a tea spoon. But when he left the coffee
shop that waiter said to him:
"Spasibo, prohodite esche!" ("Thank you, come again" in Russian).
The Russian man asked him, "How have you guessed that I am a
Russian?"
"You drink tea like a Russian," answered the waiter.
"But did I have tea with a tea spoon taken out?"
"Yes, you did," answered the waiter. "But you've got a habit to close
your eye when you drink tea."

Bye, Paul!
Alexander Koryagin
fido7.english-tutor 2014
Paul Quinn
2014-04-17 12:34:00 UTC
Hi! Alexander,

On Thu, 17 Apr 14, you wrote to me:

ak> But it supports my main English rule - you should never say short
ak> phrases. You should speak adding many context words. In this case
ak> you'll be understood! :)

:)

PQ>> used in other films as well. E. g. I suspect a senior Police
PQ>> official may have been using one in the 'Gorky Park' film from 1983
PQ>> but I don't have a copy to check.

There was a copy available from YouTube, so I downloaded it and watched the
film last night. The militia general seemed to (possibly) have a tea set on a
small table behind his desk but never actually went through the ritual,
unfortunately.

ak> "Yes, you did," answered the waiter. "But you've got a habit to
ak> close your eye when you drink tea."

Ah. The joke is more universal than you think, my friend. John Wayne (the
actor, 'Duke') also had the same trouble. According to another YouTube video
of him & Red Skelton, the teaspoon was the reason that he had to wear an eye
patch. :)

Cheers,
Paul.

... Zane Grey: 'Never insult 7 men when all you're packing is a 6-gun!'
alexander koryagin
2014-04-18 05:48:23 UTC
Hi, Paul Quinn!
I read your message from 17.04.2014 16:34

ak>> "Yes, you did," answered the waiter. "But you've got a habit to
ak>> close your eye when you drink tea."

PQ> Ah. The joke is more universal than you think, my friend. John
PQ> Wayne (the actor, 'Duke') also had the same trouble. According to
PQ> another YouTube video of him & Red Skelton, the teaspoon was the
PQ> reason that he had to wear an eye patch. :)

I didn't watch it. Did he play a Russian spy who got his trauma in
his childhood, when he drank tea? ;)

Bye, Paul!
Alexander Koryagin
fido7.english-tutor 2014
alexander koryagin
2014-04-28 05:07:07 UTC
Hi, Paul Quinn!
I read your message from 16.04.2014 08:51

PQ> Caps? China cups. Yes. I used to have my own (favourite) tea
PQ> cup and saucer in my teenaged years.

It is interesting how it sounds in Australia? I know, in the UK they say
"c[ae]se" for case; expl[ei]n for explain; f[ae]ce for face.
In Australia we have
"c[a]se" for case; expl[a]in for explain; f[a]ce for face.

But how, then, you live with "cap" and cup? According to the above
mentioned theory both words must sound equally? ;-)

Bye, Paul!
Alexander Koryagin
fido7.english-tutor 2014
Paul Quinn
2014-04-28 13:25:00 UTC
Hi! Alexander,

On Mon, 28 Apr 14, you wrote to me:

ak> But how, then, you live with "cap" and cup? According to the above
ak> mentioned theory both words must sound equally? ;-)

Funny boy! Not. ;-) No, they don't. One is for wearing on the head and
t'other is for drinking from.

What I 'said' was a shorthand progression, from here to there, through the
available (English) vowels to suit the subject. I had an itch to say 'can I
buy a vowel for $50?'. But, I didn't at the time. (I can't imagine the
applicable TV gameshow being on air in Russia, and thought that you may have
had trouble sensing the attempt at humour. Try that phrase in your favourite
web search engine for clues.)

If you ever want to have some fun with a Kiwi (New Zealander) just ask them to
describe the difference between the sounds for 'a pin' & 'a pen', for a
giggle. :) Okay, a Kiwi may not be handy to you... due to their British
(English + Scottish) heritage, they mix the sounds for each with the other.
That is to say, if you want to borrow a Kiwi's pen then ask for a loan of his
pin.

Cheers,
Paul.

... My wife says I never listen to her (I think that's what she said).
Denis Mosko
2014-05-01 14:31:32 UTC
Hi! Paul,

You wrote:

PQ> What I 'said' was a shorthand progression, from here to there, through
PQ> the available (English) vowels to suit the subject. I had an itch to
PQ> say 'can I buy a vowel for $50?'. But, I didn't at the time. (I
PQ> can't imagine the applicable TV gameshow being on air in Russia, and
PQ> thought that you may have had trouble sensing the attempt at humour.
PQ> Try that phrase in your favourite web search engine for clues.)
:)

Paul! I live in near Moscow Post. Do you want to send me post card?

And You, All?
Paul Quinn
2014-05-02 06:18:00 UTC
Hi! Denis,

On Thu, 01 May 14, you wrote to me:

DM> Paul! I live in near Moscow Post. Do you want to send me post card?

I would be happy to do so. Send me a netmail with your mailing address, Denis.

DM> And You, All?

What do you mean by this question?

Cheers,
Paul.

... I DID read the manual! That's why I'm confused!!
Alexander Koryagin
2014-05-03 06:46:59 UTC
Hi, Paul Quinn!
I read your message from 02.05.2014 11:18
about To Moscow.

DM>> Paul! I live in near Moscow Post. Do you want to send me post card?

PQ> I would be happy to do so. Send me a netmail with your mailing address,
PQ> Denis.

DM>> And You, All?

PQ> What do you mean by this question?

He probably wants QSL-cards from All. ;)

PS: No connection with your NNTP server today.

Bye, Paul!
Alexander Koryagin
fido.english_tutor 2014
Paul Quinn
2014-05-03 15:46:00 UTC
Hi! Alexander,

On Sat, 03 May 14, you wrote to me:

DM>>> And You, All?
PQ>> What do you mean by this question?

AK> He probably wants QSL-cards from All. ;)

Thanks. I had to go look on Wikipedia then, to find out what you were talking
about. :)

AK> PS: No connection with your NNTP server today.

Strange. It seemed to work for a bloke 300kms south of me, this afternoon.
Sometimes I can't tell if there's errors though. (I'll be on it later
tonight.) In any case, I've re-started the server. Thank you. Have fun with
it!

Cheers,
Paul.

... "Ah! Now that's entertainment!" -- Vlad the Impaler.
alexander koryagin
2014-05-04 14:42:02 UTC
Hi, Paul Quinn!
I read your message from 03.05.2014 12:46
about To Moscow.

It's all right with your server. It was my fault.

I use Thunderbird mail program, and I set up its folders at my movable USB
driver. So, I can read/write as from my home computer as well as from my office
computer, and my messages are stored in one place.

When you asked me to change the name of your server I did it when I was in
my office. It is clear now that my Thunderbird is not fully portable, and it
keeps accounts for each computer separately. I have changed the NNTP server on
my office computer, but my home computer remained with the old server name.
That was the problem, and it ended when I changed the server name on my home
computer, too.

You know, it is May holidays in Russia now.

Bye, Paul!
Alexander Koryagin
ENGLISH_TUTOR 2014
Paul Quinn
2014-05-04 17:24:00 UTC
Hi! Alexander,

On Sun, 04 May 14, you wrote to me:

ak> I use Thunderbird mail program, and I set up its folders at my
ak> movable USB driver. So, I can read/write as from my home computer as
ak> well as from my office computer, and my messages are stored in one
ak> place.

So do I, on two PCs: one on my 'office' desktop under the house and another on
a netbook in my daughter's room (recall we spoke about the unclean table).
Even though the netbook has two boot options already for different Linux
versions, I use a Linux USB boot stick with saved configurations on it for six
different PCs. I'm toying with the idea of creating the user 'home' directory
on a separate partition on the USB, so that things like Thunderbird's directory
structure could be shared by the various boot configurations. This is
something easily done in a Linux environment.

For Windows, you might like to checkout 'Portable Apps' (via your favourite
search engine). They have the same notion, where you can take your favourite
Windows environment to any PC. :) I think it's *free* and worth checking.

ak> You know, it is May holidays in Russia now.

It's nice to know but I don't know what to do with the information.[giggle]

Cheers,
Paul.

... I got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
alexander koryagin
2014-05-05 06:00:59 UTC
Hi, Paul Quinn!
I read your message from 04.05.2014 21:24

ak>> I use Thunderbird mail program, and I set up its folders at my
ak>> movable USB driver. So, I can read/write as from my home computer
ak>> as well as from my office computer, and my messages are stored in
ak>> one place.

PQ> So do I, on two PCs: one on my 'office' desktop under the house and
PQ> another on a netbook in my daughter's room (recall we spoke about
PQ> the unclean table). Even though the netbook has two boot options
PQ> already for different Linux versions, I use a Linux USB boot stick
PQ> with saved configurations on it for six different PCs. I'm toying
PQ> with the idea of creating the user 'home' directory on a separate
PQ> partition on the USB, so that things like Thunderbird's directory
PQ> structure could be shared by the various boot configurations. This
PQ> is something easily done in a Linux environment.

Actually is is easy to do in Windows, too. The main thing you should
care of is that your disk (which you created from that "home" partition)
shall be mounted in constant position (for instance "E" for all windows
computers. In windows you can change disk letters as you wish.

PQ> For Windows, you might like to checkout 'Portable Apps' (via your
PQ> favourite search engine). They have the same notion, where you can
PQ> take your favourite Windows environment to any PC. :) I think it's
PQ> *free* and worth checking.

I used some "portable" applications, and I didn't have good experience.
The main feature of a portable program is that such an application
creates in windows register a temporary keys, and it removes them after
termination. But it means that some settings you have done during your
work will be lost after the program exit. It is annoying.

There is not a problem to install a not portable program twice and set
up one common directory on flash drive. Such a problem (which I had
mention above, telling of Thunderbird and server name) is very rare.

ak>> You know, it is May holidays in Russia now.
PQ> It's nice to know but I don't know what to do with the information.
PQ> [giggle]

Well, it explained why I didn't connect to your server from my office
computer, which was tuned well. ;)

Bye, Paul!
Alexander Koryagin
fido7.english-tutor 2014
Paul Quinn
2014-05-05 12:38:00 UTC
Hi! Alexander,

On Mon, 05 May 14, you wrote to me:

ak>>> You know, it is May holidays in Russia now.
PQ>> It's nice to know but I don't know what to do with the
PQ>> information. [giggle]

ak> Well, it explained why I didn't connect to your server from my office
ak> computer, which was tuned well. ;)

:) Be good, now. Have fun!

Cheers,
Paul.

... Golden Rule: she who has the gold makes the rules.
Ardith Hinton
2014-05-30 08:56:26 UTC
Hi, Alexander! Recently you wrote in a message to Paul Quinn:

PQ> Caps? China cups. Yes. I used to have my own (favourite)
PQ> cup and saucer in my teenaged years.

ak> It is interesting how it sounds in Australia?

Seems to me Paul was pointing out what I used to call a "wrong word"
error (abbreviated "w/w") in marking junior high school compositions.

When you've made a typo or whatever, you often find it yourself upon
further reflection. What I see him doing here is basically what I'd have done
in such a situation... i.e. call attention to the word you used & say "I think
you mean xxx." If either of us had corrected your spelling in accordance with
what we thought you wanted to say without any further comment you and/or other
readers might be unaware that "cap" is a perfectly good English word too. :-)

Vowel sounds may differ from one language to another, and in English
they may vary from one dialect to another. But all of the Aussies I've met in
person distinguish between the short "a" & the short "u" just as I would. ;-)